6/16/11

Hurrah for Pasture-Fed Chickens and their Eggs

I was recently given a dozen eggs from a friend. She told me that Free-Range simply means "Access to the outside" and that Pasture-Fed meant that the chickens are not only outside but that they eat the bugs and grass in the pasture. This is their natural diet and the eggs they produce on this diet are far superior than what we find in the supermarket.
The eggs were gorgeous. The yolks were huge blobs of dark, rich orange. The whites were crystal clear and appeared to stand higher than the whites of commercial eggs. They tasted richer and creamier. I fell in love. I am now a convert. No longer is a supermarket egg acceptable. Yes, I will drive to a Farmers Market or a Farm stand to get these eggs.
Did you know Pasture Fed eggs come in hues? The Blueish-green is my favorite. Now I understand the Dr. Seuss title, Green Eggs and Ham. I never knew eggs came in a pretty blueish hue of green.
As I am a lover of research and statistics, I googled Pasture-fed eggs and discovered that Mother Earth News has a wonderful article filled with research, stats and information regarding this topic. I invite you to click the link and have a good read. The nutritional statistics were surprising. I am left to wonder the nutritional differences that would be found in all of our other commercially prepared foods.

I hope you make yourself an omelet tomorrow from pasture-fed eggs. It will be amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment